The Old and New
Lloyd and Aveling Park has been a favourite recreational place for Walthamstow residents since it was officially opened on 28th July 1900. Although the estate has probably been in existence from the 16th century, the name of Lloyd Park was only established when the grounds were opened as a park.
The present mansion house dates from 1760 but there was probably an earlier house on the site. It has been known as The Water House, Lloyd Park Mansion and latterly William Morris Gallery, after its most famous inhabitant.
The house was turned into a Museum of Morris' life and works in 1950, the collection being complemented by works from other Victorian and later artists.
The park and manor house had been neglected for many years, which had resulted in the area becoming less desirable and prone to vandalism due to lack of respect. The Council embarked upon a £5.7m improvement program, funded by the "Parks for People" with match funding from Waltham Forest Council.
Lloyd and Aveling Park has nearly a million visits a year and it is hoped this will increase now the work is complete. The plan was to transform Lloyd Park into a first-class park that everyone can enjoy. The improvements were extensive and included improved signage and wayfinding for a more informed visitor experience.
Fitzpatrick Woolmer were selected to provide a number of monolith wayfinding signs from our dCipher™ range complete with printed map panels; in total 4 double sided displays were delivered and installed. This contemporary range of signs add a modern touch to any signage scheme, but when finished in heritage green complement an historic urban park setting.
We also supplied and installed 3 double door locking cases, 12 Musketeer™ lectern displays, 4 badging signs and 2 contemporary styled fingerposts. All units were manufactured from hard wearing stainless steel with security fixings throughout. As an added measure all signs were coated in our duoguard™ anti-graffiti barrier, to help maintain the long term presentation and quality of the finished products.
Printed Graphic Panels
n-viro™ was used throughout the park for all full colour printed graphic panels. These panels offer excellent clarity of colour and high resolution reproduction. The anti-graffiti coating not only limits the effects of vandalism but also provides protection against tree sap, bird droppings and UV degradation, making them an ideal choice for this parkland and water based environment.
As the site was still under construction during the installation works only fully qualified site fitters were allowed to attend site, but this was not a problem as we hold all the necessary certificates for operating under such conditions.
Our main priority is always to ensure a safe and swift conclusion to installation works, minimising disruption to the general public and leaving behind secure sign displays that will remain so for many years to come.